Wednesday, June 9, 2010

George Barbier

One of my favorite friends and patrons from San Francisco recently gave me a copy of this book, the illustrations of George Barbier.  I had never heard of him before, but he is clearly a soul-mate.  My own work had been tending in that illustrational, art-deco direction for some time, but possessing this book certainly pushed me over the edge!  I have been deeply influenced by it, and have been indulging the fantasy that had an openly gay art been possible at that time, it would have looked like what I am making now.  His book is peopled by fauns, bathers, decadent nobleman, sweet lovers, and on and on.  Much of it is more straight than otherwise (the times! the times!), but there are enough naked fauns to satisfy my sweet tooth.  I highly recommend it.  Below are some of my favorite images from the book.  I am flying to Chicago this weekend to meet The Other Felix, and we will hopefully collaborate on an illustrated book;  I plan on painting it in this style.

No comments: